Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies, YUM!
Gluten Free this Holiday? Try these!
The light, tender texture and vanilla-y flavor of this gluten-free sugar cookie will have you sharing it far and wide. Make it as a drop cookie, or roll the dough out and cut it into shapes; either way you’ll have a happy crowd.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
1/2 cup almond flour or finely ground almonds, blanched or unblanched
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets. Preheat the oven to 350°F (for drop cookies; if you’re making cutout cookies, don’t preheat the oven).
- Beat the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla stir until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl and stirring again briefly.
- Add the dry ingredients, stirring just until the dough comes together.
- To make drop cookies: Drop the dough by teaspoonfuls (a teaspoon cookie scoop works well here) onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2″ between them. Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes; they won’t brown, but will feel set. Remove them from the oven, and cool completely on the pan.
- To make cutout cookies: Scoop the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, flatten it into a disk, and wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and dust your work surface and dough with cornstarch or gluten-free flour.
- Roll the dough about 1/4″ thick and cut the shapes of your choice with a cookie cutter. Place cutouts on a parchment-lined baking sheet and chill for 10 minutes. Re-chill any dough scraps before rolling.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and cool completely before icing.
- Yield: about 4 dozen small (1 3/4″ to 2″) drop cookies; or 18 to 20 larger cutout cookies.
Tips from our bakers
- For a wonderful variation on flavor, try adding the grated rind (zest) of 1 orange and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg to the dry ingredients.
- Drop cookies baked for 12 minutes will be soft and tender; bake them a couple of additional minutes for a more sturdy cookie